Currently orgs use tools of the past. Business cycles have compressed, time windows to success have shortened. More has to be done with less in lesser time. Cognitive burden has increased. But orgs continue to use tools of the past, creating outward spiraling cognitive load. This causes friction & an org layer dedicated to friction removal.
Ideal is minimum viable org to meet the biz goal, and no more.
For this we see an org as org dynamics layer & underlying work layer. Org can be minimized by simplification of org dynamics to minimize cognitive load. The underlying work layer, specific to each industries & built on wisdom of last generation of technology, needs design thinking applied for simplification & minimization.
Org = Planning + Execution + Underlying Work Process + Actions
Planning = Direction+Judgements+Decisions+Tasks + Classification +Timeline +Accountability+Measurability+Visibility+Bottlenecks
Execution = Communication +Action+Escalations +Decisions
UWP = Input Trigger+Value Adding Actions
Actions = Defined flow of steps + Tackling unknown + Skill Development +Feedback To Process Definition.
UI Pattern To Relate To Human Actions
A human interacts with UI based on intuition & experience. Earlier enterprise applications created ‘work flow’ which a human was expected to follow through forms and controls.
We intend to transform the experience from forms to UI elements that related to user more intuitively. e.g. A simple checklist is intuitively understood as creation of work, its priority, its due date, creator as work giver and responder as doer of work, tick as sign of delivery, measure of finishing, visibility etc.
An untick by another user can be construed as supervisor’s disapproval of work done. A ticking cycle indicates how many iterations. The time between ticks indicates pace, clustering of ticks indicates using product as compliance rather than collaboration tool. Several behavioural patterns are hidden in micro data related with simple UI elements which can be used to identify & eliminate frictional behaviour. Ultimately topography of a product educates & aligns the user to the product’s intention.
What can be inferred by implication, should not be asked.
Session 3 — Bundle Ideas
Several ideas emerge from the discussion.
- Work flow systems that link work but ignore human behaviour vs flow of work, human centered process where platform senses the meaning through measurement.
- Build in 10% cost 60% value, rather than 100% cost & 100% value
- Organisational layer resides on underlying work processes, organizational dynamics is a protocol layer to be abstracted into the product.
- The topography of the product should align the behaviour of the user to the objective by intrinsic motives rather than enforce rules.
- Synchronised flow of work reduces cognitive overload
- Hygiene processes can be abstracted into automation with a lot of effectiveness.
Above excerpt is from session 3-Bundle Ideas & session 4- create framework of Prodio’s product design sessions. These immersive sessions aim to explore several layers of problem to arrive at a path to minimum viable product.